How Long Does It Take to Feel the Effects of Ginseng?
Ginseng is known to provide several health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals. It’s also been shown to boost energy levels and immune response.
If you are thinking of adding ginseng to your diet, you may be wondering how long it takes to feel the effects of ginseng tablets and other ginseng products. Below are some things you should know.
What is Ginseng?
Ginseng is a short, slow-growing plant with fleshy roots. It is nicknamed ‘man-root’ as it is shaped like a person. It resembles a fork with a somewhat long stalk and green leaves.
The herb is classified into two main categories: Asian ginseng and American ginseng. They differ in where they are grown and the effects they provide. Asian ginseng has energizing effects while American ginseng is ideal for relaxation.
Ginseng can be further broken down according to color. Red ginseng is harvested for about six years. It turns red after undergoing an old Korean method of steaming and drying.
White ginseng is harvested for about four years and does not go through a steaming and drying process.
Both red and white ginseng provide similar health benefits.
What are Ginseng's Benefits?
- Reduces Inflammation: Ginseng is rich in antioxidants which can reduce inflammation and decrease oxidative cell damage that can lead to chronic disease.
- Improves Brain Function: The antioxidants in ginseng have been shown to improve memory, behavior, and mood. Studies have found it to increase cognitive function in seniors. It may also reduce stress and boost working memory.
- Reduces Erectile Dysfunction: Research shows that ginseng may reduce oxidative stress in penile blood vessels and tissue to reduce erectile dysfunction. It also promotes nitric oxide production which increases relaxation and boosts blood circulation.
- May Boost Immunity: Ginseng has been shown to have anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. Studies have found it to significantly increase participants’ immune cell levels.
- May Have Cancer-Fighting Benefits: The ginsenosides in ginseng have antioxidant properties that may contribute to a lower risk of developing cancer. The herb may also reduce the side effects of cancer treatments.
- May Reduce Fatigue: The polysaccharides and oligopeptides in ginseng may reduce fatigue associated with oxidative stress. It has been shown to improve symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and cancer-related fatigue.
- May Lower Blood Sugar: Ginseng has been shown to maintain blood sugar levels in diabetics and non-diabetics alike. Researchers have also found it to increase pancreatic cell function, aid with the uptake of blood sugar, and improve insulin production.
What are the Different Ways to Take Ginseng?
Ginseng can be taken in different forms. You can take a small piece of the root and hold it in your mouth throughout the day to feel its invigorating effects, or you can place the root in soup or a cup of tea to increase nutritional benefits and enhance flavor.
You can also grind up ginseng and add it to beverages and recipes. Ginseng can also be added to skin care products, or it can be taken in the form of ginseng tablets and ginseng pills.
Factors That Affect How Long Ginseng Takes to Work
Several factors affect how long it will take you to feel the effects of ginseng. These include:
- How You Take it: Ginseng will work faster depending on how it is taken. For instance, if you consume ginseng pills, they may take some time to break down in your system. Ginseng root and powder will also need to be digested, but they may be effective sooner as they are not contained in ginseng capsules. A topical is a product that’s applied directly to the affected area and may produce faster results.
- What You Are Taking It For: Ginseng can be used to treat a variety of symptoms. The time it takes to get results will vary depending on the condition it’s targeting.
- How Severe Your Symptoms Are: If you are experiencing severe symptoms, it may take a while before you notice an improvement.
- The Dosage You are Taking: Taking a higher dosage of ginseng may produce faster results. However, taking too much can cause unwanted side effects. It's best to consult the product label or ask a doctor to determine how much you should take. In most cases, ginseng should be limited to a 200-500 mg dose twice a day.
- Genetics: Not everyone will experience the same results after taking ginseng. Some people will feel pronounced effects after taking ginseng a couple of times. Others may not feel anything at all. The different results are typically due to genetics and other biological factors.
- The Quality of the Ginseng: Not all ginseng is created equal. Some ginseng is grown in fresh soil and tested for purity and potency to ensure it provides effective results. Other products may be poorly farmed and mixed with contaminants. Do some research before purchasing ginseng to ensure you are sourcing it from a company you can trust.
Studies That Show How Long It Takes to Experience Ginseng’s Effects
Several studies have been conducted on ginseng that can give you an idea of the supplement’s effects over time.
- Mental Health: One study showed people who used a ginseng supplement noticed an improvement in mental health around the 4-week mark.
- Cognitive Function: A 2016 study revealed that seniors taking ginseng experienced an improvement in frontal lobe function after 12 weeks.
- Sexual Performance: A 2012 study of men with erectile dysfunction showed that ginseng berry extracts improved sexual function after eight weeks.
- Hyperpigmentation: A 2020 study showed that a fermented black ginseng cream can help reduce hyperpigmentation if used twice a day for eight weeks.
- Glucose Tolerance: A 2000 clinical trial found that ginseng can improve glucose tolerance 40-120 minutes before a glucose challenge. Results varied depending on the dosage.
- Fatigue: A review of past studies showed that taking American or Asian ginseng can reduce symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome after just 15 days.
It’s important to note that the statistics above refer to the full length of the study. It is unclear whether the participants started to see the effects of ginseng sooner.
Choose Baumann Wisconsin Ginseng for the Best Results
One of the factors that play a part in how long it takes to feel the effects of ginseng is the quality of the product. If you use a product that’s grown under the best circumstances and handled with care, you are more likely to get the results you are looking for. If the product is poorly grown and mixed with contaminants, it may do more harm than good.
Baumann Wisconsin Ginseng is a ginseng provider you can trust. We grow our ginseng in fresh Wisconsin soil. We use the highest standards in harvesting, processing, packaging, and shipping our products to ensure our ginseng produces the results you are looking for.
Shop our line of ginseng pills, tea bags, slices, and whole roots to find the products best suited to your health needs.